From the dizzying vistas of Sonic the Hedgehog to Frogger‘s perilous motorway traversals, video game level design can be so frantic, frenetic and fun that they become permanently lodged in the public’s memory, whether you’re a hardcore gamer or not! But, of course, some can be more easily recognised than others.
That’s why we created a quiz inviting the UK’s best gamers to guess the names of a collection of legendary video games based on screenshots from their most iconic stages and levels. Over 1,000 participants put their gaming credentials to the test, the results of which we’ll delve into below.
Broadly speaking, it seems that while these gamers feel a sense of nostalgia for the classics, many were thrown off by the less well-known franchises that we included.
So, while the hi-score table of our quiz illustrates a pretty healthy performance overall, there were still a few hidden gems that proved tough for our gamers to identify. The results were as follows:
- While the majority of participants scored a perfect ten, 40% of people struggled to get all 10 correct.
- Perhaps unsurprisingly, Space Invaders proved to be the most iconic retro video game, as 93% of UK gamers identified its little green men and simplistic level design correctly.
- UK gamers struggled the most with Metroid Prime, with 44% getting it wrong. It seemed the lack of appearance from series protagonist Samus Aran was enough for our other choices to fool them!
- A third of people were unable to identify Duck Hunt, one of the oldest games to appear in the quiz. This is quite surprising, as Duck Hunt was released as a launch game for the Nintendo Entertainment System. Although, we were quite sneaky, and didn’t include any ducks or that pesky dog in our screenshot!
- Impressively, over half (59%) of UK gamers were able to identify Super Mario Bros. We were particularly fiendish with this question, with two other retro Mario games – Super Mario World and Super Mario Bros 2 – as an option in our quiz. This goes to show how much of an impression the Italian plumber has made with UK gamers; even from the smallest details, they can still differentiate various retro games within the franchise.
- Two of gaming’s other iconic games were easily guessed too; Sonic the Hedgehog and Zelda were well-remembered, with 89% and 75% of UK gamers able to name them.
- A third of gamers struggled to identify the 1992 release Virtua Racing, which was one of the more obscure titles included in our quiz – and clearly less well-known compared to the bigger franchises on this list.
CDL is one of the UK’s leading IT disposal companies, working to help private and public businesses and organisations safely retire and recycle their outdated IT assets. To find out how we could help your business, or more of the latest tech news and advice, visit our homepage or call our team today on 0333 060 2846.